If you’ve heard the buzz about CBD for humans, you’ve probably heard that CBD can be a useful tool for pets, too! Dog owners in particular have reported really positive experiences with pet CBD oil.
But, as with any trend, it’s important to be informed. Your dog can’t speak for him- or herself, so you have a lot of responsibility to educate yourself as a pet parent before introducing something new to your pup’s lifestyle. Here’s what you need to know about CBD oil for dogs.
What is CBD Oil for Dogs?
Let’s start here: Pet CBD will not get your dog ‘high.’ CBD for dogs sometimes gets conflated with THC, weed, and getting ‘stoned’ – but they are not the same thing at all!
THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is a chemical compound that is extracted from the cannabis plant. It causes the psychoactive effects that people understand as getting ‘high’ from marijuana. But the cannabis plant has more than 80 different chemical compounds besides THC – one of which is cannabidiol, or CBD.
Hemp is a very specific type of cannabis plant that is different from marijuana cannabis because of its extremely low concentration of THC. Industrial hemp plants, in order to be labeled as such, cannot contain more than 0.3 percent THC. No THC means no psychoactive compounds, which means no sensation of being stoned or high.
Much of this detail was outlined in the 2018 Farm Bill, which legalized broad cultivation of the hemp plant. The important thing to know as a pet owner is that hemp-derived CBD products for dogs are legal and can benefit your pet in a myriad of ways.
How CBD Oil for Dogs Works
If you’ve heard from fellow pet owners about the amazing benefits of CBD products for dogs, you’ve probably also heard some humans talking about how CBD has improved their lives, too. Both humans and dogs experience the benefits of CBD products because CBD impacts the endocannabinoid system (ECS), a cell-signaling system shared by all mammals
The ECS first became the focus of research in the 90s, and scientists are still studying its complexity. However, it’s become clear that this system affects a variety of other processes in the body, including (but not limited to) sleep, stress, mood, appetite, and digestion. While research has been done on the ECS in humans, studies as to the benefits of CBD for dogs are very limited at this time. Pet owners have only anecdotal support, but many have seen positive wellness impacts by introducing CBD into their dogs’ lifestyle.
Why Pet Owners Use CBD for Dogs
Pet owners have been shouting from the rooftops about how CBD pet products have improved their dogs’ lives. From the itty-bittiest Chihuahua to the most massive Great Dane, all sizes, breeds, and personalities of puppers can experience impressive changes when using CBD as part of a wholesome pet lifestyle. Here are some reasons that pet owners choose to give CBD pet treats to their furry friends:
- Loud settings: Is Fourth of July a dreaded holiday in your house? Dogs can struggle with noise aversion in part because of their sensitive hearing. Fireworks, loud music, parties, thunderstorms, and other raucous environments might make your dog cower or behave erratically. It’s important to remember that while something might not sound too loud to us, it can be ear-splitting for a dog!
- Separation issues: Perhaps the neighbors have complained that Spot howls and whines while you are out of the house, or you watch her on the puppy cam and see her pacing the floors, anticipating your return home. For a dog, being away from the person they love most – that’s you! – can be a difficult experience that inspires stress signals.
- Muscle stiffness: Just like people, dogs can suffer from stiff joints and muscles if they overdo it or as they age. Especially if your dog has to undergo some kind of surgery, movement and flexibility can become a major challenge. An active lifestyle is especially important for dogs, who are built to run and jump and play, so supporting their ability to move around is vital.
Many pet parents choose to use CBD because it supports their dog’s overall health and wellness. CBD pet treats for dogs and CBD tinctures for dogs can be a great way to encourage mobility and comfort in your pet.
The Benefits of CBD Products for Dogs
The benefits of CBD oil products for dogs are plentiful and obvious to the many pet owners who have chosen to make pet CBD oil a part of their dogs’ daily routine. Here are some ways CBD benefits both you and Fido.
CBD Oil Products for Dogs Promote Calm
Especially when combined with other relaxing ingredients like melatonin and valerian root, CBD oil products for dogs can promote a sense of calm and relaxation in your pet. Pet owners have reported that their dogs sleep more soundly when using CBD oil.
CBD for Dogs Supports Comfort
The benefits of CBD for dogs might include more physical comfort and freedom of movement. Be warned – your dog might be more likely to jump up and leave muddy paw prints on your shirt and sloppy kisses on your face!
CBD Oil is Safe for Dogs
While formal studies are still ongoing, adverse effects are not common when using CBD oil for dogs.
CBD Products for Dogs Give You Choices
One of the best benefits of CBD oil products for dogs is that you have choices. The variety of serving sizes, as well as the different delivery methods available for CBD oil, ensure that you get to make the best choice for your dog and your daily lifestyle.
Finding the Best CBD Products for Dogs
CBD pet products, like any other consumer product, can be both good and bad. Quality and safety assessment is your responsibility as a dog mom or dad. To choose the best CBD oil products for dogs, you need to consider how the pet CBD oil is made, what kind of CBD oil is used in the products, and how you want to deliver the CBD to your pet.
How CBD Oil for Dogs is Made
In order to ensure you’re getting the best pet CBD oil for your dog, you’ll need to understand how CBD oil is made. The CBD extraction process impacts the quality of the final product. There are two primary ways to extract CBD oil from an industrial hemp plant: ethanol extraction and CO2 extraction.
Ethanol extraction uses ethanol, a high-grade grain alcohol, to separate CBD from the plant itself. This method is incredibly consistent and stable – it can be done in a lot of different conditions without threat to the quality of the final product. This is not as true of CO2 extraction, which strips the plant of CBD using very, very cold CO2. The low temperatures of this extraction process make it a little more volatile, though the final product can be extremely pure when it’s done correctly.
Types of CBD Used in CBD Oil Products for Dogs
Perhaps more important than the extraction process is the type of CBD that is used in a CBD oil for dogs. CBD products can be made using:
- CBD isolate, which is only pure, isolated CBD. These products, while appropriate for some, can leave behind useful terpenes and cannabinoids in the hemp plant that can increase the benefits of CBD.
- Full Spectrum CBD, which features all the compounds in the plant, including some traces of THC.
- Broad Spectrum CBD, a sort of in-between that includes many of the plant’s compounds but removes THC molecules.
- Superior Broad Spectrum CBD, a special formula created by cbdMD that uses the ethanol extraction process to create CBD isolate, then combines it with other useful cannabinoids and terpenes for a consistently beneficial CBD product.
Superior Broad Spectrum CBD for dogs benefits your pet by delivering the health advantages of CBD in a complete package. You can also rest easy because the process for making Superior Broad Spectrum CBD is consistent and calculable, so you always know exactly what you’re getting with these CBD pet products.
What Else to Look for in the Best CBD Oil for Dogs
In addition to the type of CBD oil used in a product and how it is extracted, there are some other factors that will contribute to a high-quality CBD pet formula.
- Independently tested: A trustworthy CBD product will have a Certificate of Analysis from a third-party laboratory that ensures the CBD pet product is free of THC.
- Free of artificial flavors and artificial fillers: The best CBD products for dogs will be free of any unnecessary fillers or weird artificial flavorings. Only wholesome ingredients for your beloved pup!
- Formulated by a veterinarian: High-quality CBD pet products will involve a professional veterinarian in the design and creation of any CBD pet formula.
- Uses domestically grown hemp: The US has pretty intense rules about how hemp can be farmed on American soil. So with domestically grown hemp, you can rest assured that your CBD pet product was derived from a healthy, safe plant.
Types of CBD Products for Dogs
Once you’ve done the nitty-gritty research of finding a high-quality CBD oil, there are a myriad of ways to give CBD to your best furry friend. There is a diverse array of CBD products for dogs and you might even choose to incorporate CBD into your dog’s daily life in a few different ways. Here are some common delivery methods for CBD oil products for dogs.
CBD Pet Tincture
CBD tinctures for dogs are especially popular because of their ease of use: just use the dropper to add a squirt of tincture into your dog’s food bowl or directly into their mouth. Not only is the process itself simple, but you also have really precise control over the serving size.
If your activities and settings change a lot with your pet – maybe you go on big hikes with your pup every weekend, but you work long days at the office during the week – the serving-size control offered by CBD oil tinctures for dogs might be perfect for you. This product is also useful if you have multiple pets who require different serving sizes.
CBD Pet Treats for Dogs
While the CBD pet tincture is very beneficial for certain uses, it can be a little messy and not very easy to transport. For perfect portability and consistent delivery (meaning the exact same serving size every time), CBD treats for dogs make a great choice.
Treats can be useful in so many contexts with dogs: from just a sweet reward for being the best doggo, to a reward after obedience training, or a night-time dessert snack. CBD oil treats for dogs give pet owners the opportunity to deliver specified amounts of CBD in a single serving. And with flavors like baked cheese and peanut butter, you know Fido will be pleased!
CBD Soft Chews for Dogs
CBD soft chews for dogs are a perfect CBD treat for dogs with aging or sensitive teeth. The soft, chewy texture of these CBD products also makes them an excellent choice for smaller dogs who might struggle with harder treats.
These soft chews, like other CBD treats for dogs, offer pet owners the luxury of a constant serving size and portability in an easy screw-top canister. Our CBD Calming Chews for Dogs also have the added benefit of chamomile to help your best friend relax, day or night. With craveable flavors like chicken & bacon or turkey, Scout is sure to look forward to his CBD treat every day!
CBD Balm for Dogs
Delivering CBD topically through a CBD balm can be a soothing experience for a dog with dry or chapped paws. Especially for pups living in colder climates with snow, or dogs that are avid hikers on rough trails, a CBD balm with shea butter and other moisturizing ingredients can be a wonderful way to make your furry friend more comfortable. And it’s not just for paws – CBD balm is one of the best CBD oil products for dogs because it can also be rubbed on elbows, noses, and other hot spots.
CBD Peanut Butter for Dogs
Has anyone ever met a dog who doesn’t like peanut butter? Not sure that’s a real thing.
While you could always drop some CBD pet tincture into your own peanut butter, why not give Sparky his own jar of peanut butter and save yourself the hassle? Like with the tincture, pet CBD peanut butter gives you some control over serving size, but you also know exactly the concentration of CBD that you are giving to your pet and can adjust your delivery according to your pet’s needs.
Specialty CBD Pet Formula
Some pet CBD products deliver CBD oil for dogs with other supporting ingredients that target specific improvements for your dog’s life. These specialty CBD pet formulas can be perfect if you have specific health goals for your pet. Here are some other ingredients that can be combined with pet CBD for remarkable wellness benefits:
- Melatonin: Melatonin is a naturally occuring substance that encourages sleep and has a calming effect on pets.
- Valerian Root: Similarly, valerian root is known to encourage a sense of calm and relaxation, making it easier for your pet to sleep or manage stressful situations. Both valerian root and melatonin are featured in our CBD Calming Oil for Dogs.
- Glucosamine Hydrochloride: Glucosamine HCL is found in many products to support mobility. Combined with the natural benefits of a pet CBD product, it can pack a powerful punch against stiffness in your aging canine companion – that’s why we use it in our Pet CBD Hip and Joint Chews for Dogs.
How to Administer CBD Oil for Dogs
Once you’ve chosen the best CBD pet formula for your purposes, you’ll need to decide how much CBD to give to your dog. Serving size is an incredibly important part of introducing CBD to your pet for the first time. CBD oil products for dogs will come in different serving sizes and how much you give to your pet will depend on their weight. Here are some steps for administering CBD tinctures for dogs:
- Read the packaging and instructions on the pet CBD you’ve purchased.
- Talk to your veterinarian about your plans to give CBD to your dog.
- Start with the smallest serving size and stick with it for 30 days. It can take time to see the benefits of CBD for dogs, so watch your pet closely for changes in activity and behavior during this time.
- If needed, increase the serving size by a small amount after the initial thirty days if you haven’t seen the benefits.
When you start to see the remarkable benefits of CBD for dogs, don’t be afraid to try new products like CBD treats for dogs and specialized CBD pet formulas!
Dog CBD Oil: A Safe, Healthy Choice For Your Pet
You’re committed to the health and happiness of your beloved dog. There’s a reason we call them our best friends. Dogs are worth every minute of effort, time, and money we dedicate to them.
Dog CBD oil can be a beneficial addition to a healthy, well-balanced routine for you and your pet. Now that you’ve done the research, check out our CBD oil products for dogs!
cbdMD Inc. published this content on 03 February 2021 and is solely responsible for the information contained therein. Distributed by Public, unedited and unaltered, on 03 February 2021 10:11:02 UTC.